Let me first start by saying I am not a medical professional! So everything I write about on perimenopause is just based on what other professionals in this space have shared and my take on things. So please leverage links and books I share to do your own research to make your own best judgement for what is right for you.
I am putting together a few blogs of things I've learned and experiences I've had so others don't suffer the same way I did and to start and keep the dialog going. I am just a middle aged curious woman with a background in science and research so I like to read books, listen to podcast and try to understand the science behind things, and with the last three years kicking my butt for a variety of reason I have been doing A LOT of research about women's health which is (rightfully so) a hot topic these days after years of the medical profession simply making excuses about why it doesn't care!
What symptoms are possible with perimenopause?
Here is a great list of possible symptoms (and how to manage them at the end). It may not be comprehensive but has a lot of them. I put the ones I experienced the last three years in blue. OBGYN had no words of support or a plan for helping me.
Menstrual changes - heavier or lighter flows, spotting, erratic, father apart, etc.
Vasomotor changes - hot flashes (whole or partial body), night sweats
Weight gain and weight redistribution - can come on very quickly!
Psychological changes - depression, anxiety, irritability, mood swings or panic attacks
Sleep disturbances - trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, not deep or restorative sleep leaving you more tired in the morning.
Fatigue - feeling tired physically and mentally
Sexual dysfunction - vaginal changes (dry, tender, less elastic, etc), low libido
Tender breasts - not just with a cycle
Gastrointestinal issues - acid reflux, diarrhea, and/or constipation, bloating
Neurological changes - migraine headaches, brain fog, memory issues, dizziness/vertigo, tingling or shock like feeling in arms, hands, legs or feet
Musculoskeletal problems - joint pain and muscle aches, osteoporosis (reduced bone density), joint swelling
Heart Palpitations - increased frequency, irregular heartbeats
Changes in skin, nails and hair - dry itchy skin, weak/brittle nails, hair loss or dry hair
Dry or itchy eyes
Burning sensation in the mouth
Taste changes
Urinary dysfunction - incontinence, urgency, etc
Allergies - sneezing, running nose, congestion
Body Odor - like a teenage boy, ugh
I wrote a more detailed blog here about my wild journey with symptoms. With a lot of the reading I have done one of my early symptoms was a thyroid imbalance noted below about four years ago.
These symptoms didn't all come at one time. Some came and went, some came early in the process, some came and stayed, some came later in the process. Changes in your cycle most likely will not be the first set of symptoms that pop up.
It is important for your mental and physical health if it make sense and is safe to do so, to start hormone therapy earlier rather than later to stop a litany of issues you may encounter down the road. Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone all feed SO MANY systems in our body that fluctuations that aren't dealt with can have series long-term implications. There are options outside of HT for those for which HT doesn't make sense.
The road to dialing that in is not a straight path, or a one and done, but takes time, patience and a knowledgeable. Other things to support the journey - changing your nutrition so it is less inflammatory. Adding exercises in or in my case adjusting what I am doing for exercise (linked podcast series digs into a lot of great support details for fitness and all things perimenopause and menopause)
Stress reduction and good sleep habits which is easier said than done. And the last one from The Pause Life, is community. I am sharing all the things about what I am learning with all my friends but I want to reach out beyond my friends and family which is why I am sharing things here.
Future goals for blogs on this topic area include: treatment options, labs to request, resources that are out there you can explore, and other notes from things I've listened to, read, etc.



No comments:
Post a Comment